Thursday, October 9, 2008

To Everything There is A Season

Having a song stuck in your head can be a maddening test of your sanity, but one is calling my attention today.

"Turn, Turn, Turn..." I heard Bruce and the E Street Band covering the classic Byrds tune on my way home last night. And I haven't gotten past it. Its easy rhythm and harmonious refrain have been the background music to my morning.

"A time to build up, a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones, a time to gather stones together

To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time for every purpose, under heaven"


I drove by a tree today that shocked me with its color. It sung to me the same song as I stopped to take its picture.

And now, staring out my window into the world I see the new season approaching me, encompassing me, physically and metaphorically. And, yes I'm mourning, and yes I'm dancing. Life is about this great big circle and I feel like the season changing does give me renewed purpose. Yes the leaves are dying, but there is so much beauty in the moment before they cascade to the ground. If you only fear the cold harshness that's beyond it, you'll miss out on the color.

I can't worry the approaching winter while I have the beauty of fall around me... my beautiful children, my friends and family, my health and spirit. My world isn't dying because my relationship ended. Summer is over, and I couldn't be happier.

And, I can't ever stop believing that Spring offers so much hope.

To everything, there is a season.




(faith)